Visitation rights

In Switzerland, the contact between the child and the parent with whom he does not share his daily life with (usually the father) are somewhat awkwardly called "visitation rights", when in reality it is much more than just visits.

Children have the right to regular contact with both parents. Conversely, parents have the right, and duty, to maintain a regular relationship with their child. The somewhat misleading legal term of "visitation rights" therefore includes regular personal meetings as well as any form of indirect contacts. (telephone, mail/email, SMS, social networks, etc.)

Visitation rights give the child the feeling that they still belong to a family despite the parent’s separation and/or divorce. The relationship with the parent who does not live with them must allow the child to understand that that parent is there for them and takes care of them. Also, visitation rights may be restricted or excluded only when the welfare of the child is threatened.

In principle, all parents have the right to maintain a regular relationship with their child, regardless of their nationality or residence status. However, in Switzerland, grandparents, siblings, other reference persons or those who were previously responsible for the child do not have visitation rights by law.

When a child and a parent with visitation rights live in different countries, it is often very difficult to exercise this right. Relocating to another country can render inapplicable the visitation rights previously practiced. In such a situation a new agreement is needed. Contacts by phone or Skype, public holidays and vacation will take a much more important role. We invite you to learn more about solutions when faced with visitation rights problems by reading the next section.

Who to contact if your child lives in Switzerland ?

When the child resides in Switzerland, parents may contact the competent judicial authority, child protection service or a consultation service to attempt to find a solution. Parents living abroad also have the right to use these services.


Enforcement of visitation rights abroad

Enforcement of visitation rights in Switzerland



Enforcement of visitation rights abroad

If your child lives abroad, you have several options. You should carefully examine and consider their advantages and disadvantages, especially considering the interests of the child. The involvement of a court or administrative authorities can clarify a situation and promote decision making, but it can also harden a conflict, often to the detriment of the child.

An out of court agreement

Can and should always be considered. If it’s best to appeal to members of the family, or rather a conciliator, mediator or other authority depends on the specifics of your individual situation. Do not hesitate to contact us so we can determine, with you, the best possible approaches.

Judicial proceedings abroad

Most parents do not realize that legal action can be taken abroad. They fear exorbitant fees and discrimination in a country that is unknown to them. However, a legal process is sometimes unavoidable.

There are international conventions dealing with establishing visitation rights abroad. The Hague Convention on child abduction allows each parent to apply, at any time, to protect visitation rights. Other agreements may also be applied, such as the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and the European Convention on parental authority. They determine the procedures, the competence of the authorities, and the recognition and enforcement of decisions from one country to another.

The existing rules on visitation rights

remain valid in principle after relocating. The parent who leaves the country generally cannot impose the contrary. However, relocation has other practical consequences. In Switzerland, it is common for the child and the parent with visiting rights to be together every other weekend and one day a week, which is often not possible after relocating abroad. It is advised to check how regulations can be applied abroad and what, if any, must be adapted to a new situation. The application of the conventions mentioned above can help find a solution.

The International Social Service as well as the Federal Central Authority, with whom you may submit your requests, is at your disposal for further information.


Enforcement of visitation rights in Switzerland

If you live abroad and want to maintain contact with your child residing in Switzerland, the rules listed above are generally valid. We recommend that you inquire about international conventions that apply between your country and Switzerland. If necessary, the local partner of the International Social Service in your country can advise you.

If you decide to act through the Central Authority in your country, the Swiss Central Authority will then mandate a lawyer who will represent you before the Swiss courts.

If you want or are obliged to sue for forced visitation rights, we recommend that you hire a lawyer. We are at your disposal to answer your questions on the potential costs of such an action.