For parents and other interested persons

Separation always brings a multitude of feelings:  Sadness, anger, despair and often uncertainty regarding a new situation. Often, persons have left their native country for their partner or family and must now defend their interests in a foreign country in a foreign language where the legal and social structures are unfamiliar.

When a couple has children together, they must find an agreement on parental authority, custody and visitation rights. This is not always possible.  When faced with conflict, parents have many questions :

  • What is the applicable law?
  • Do I have the right to settle abroad with my child?
  • What should I do in order to maintain regular contact with my child living abroad?
  • What can I do if my partner has not returned the child after the holidays?
  • How to deal with cultural differences?
  • What is mediation?

The following pages will provide the first answers to these questions. Since each case is unique and it is important to take into account the particularities of each situation, you may want to take advantage of additional advice.  Do not hesitate to contact us at 022 731 67 00 or 044 366 44 77.

Children faced with conflict

Parental authority

Visitation Rights

Child Abduction